Monday, January 14

I Confess

I have become phobic about something really stupid. I've become phobic about getting sick. Me getting sick, Josh getting sick, the boys getting sick. For some reason the thought of someone being sick really freaks me out.

I think it started somewhat when I was pregnant with Zander and all the hype about the flu shot. Blah, blah, blah. Enter Preemie #1 and I was worried about his underdeveloped lungs so I really didn't want him to get sick. We pretty much kept everything low key that winter. He was fine, didn't get anything worse than a cold. I got to a point where sick just happens and you deal with it, really not a big deal at all.

Then when I got preggers with MiKael there was the whole flu shot thing again. It was like if you got the flu it was sure you were going to die. Better get the shot! (For the record, I didn't.) Enter Preemie #2 and again I was worried about him getting sick. But this time his lungs were ok and didn't require him to be on oxygen after he was born. I was much more relaxed and not as worried about him getting sick.

And all the sudden it happened. MiKael got a cold when he was 2 months old. Fast forward a week and he was in the hospital for 3 days with RSV. I think this was the moment where I slowly started to become phobic about being sick.

Someone talks about being sick and my stomach drops. It's no good. I don't even like to look at the weather channel website cause they have banners of people laying in bed with thermometers hanging out of their mouths. I get to thinking things like "what if we get the flu?!" and I'm all paranoid about it. Blah. I get that thought in my head of "what if" and it just feeds on itself and gets worse and worse.

So, there ya go. That's my confession and I don't know what to do about it. I'm sick of it and I want it to go away, but how? Am I alone in this? Any suggestions on how I can stop the cycle would be appreciated.

By the way, if someone does get sick we deal with it and go on. It's not the end of the world if myself or one of the boys gets sick. It's just me way over thinking things that is the problem. How do I just let it go?

1 Comments:

Blogger cube said...

I think the best way to beat it is to work on beefing up your immune systems. That way your bodies handle the infection and everyone heals quickly. You'll feel better knowing you've done all you can do.

Also, make them wash their hands often. That's essential to keeping the germs away.

January 17, 2008 8:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home