Thursday, June 15

100 degrees and Allergies

I grew up in Kansas so I shouldn't be a stranger to extreme summer temps or allergies either, for that matter. The last summer that I spent in KS it averaged 117 degrees. In the shade. That was also the summer that I worked a temp job for a place that does plastic blowmolding (for places like Rubbermaid) and the plastic parts would come out of the machines at something like 125 degrees. Needless to say, it was a hot summer.

But I don't live in Kansas anymore, Colorado is currently home. Colorado is not supposta be as hot as Kansas but yesterday it was hotter. The town that I grew up in had high temp of 91. Here in Colorado it was 100 freakin degrees.

The morning didn't start out so bad, but by mid-morning things were starting to get ugly. We don't have air conditioning in this house so I simply had the windows open. The living room where I spend most of my time with the boys has a box fan in the window to suck in air from outside. Yesterday I forgot to turn it off before it started to warm up outside which proved to be a huge mistake. The house was nasty hot.

As the day drug on my allergies started to make an appearance and by bedtime I was felt like my head was going to pop. I've gotten to the point where I don't like to take a bunch of medicine but last night I caved. I couldn't take it anymore! Two Tylenol PM and a glass of water later I went to bed! Sound strange to take Tylenol PM for allergies? Interesting, the "sleep aide" part of Tylenol PM is Diphenhydramine, the generic version of Benadryl Allergy. Neat, huh?

2 Comments:

Blogger Jamie said...

I thought Colorado was supposed to be a good place for those suffering from allergies...according to a friend who grew up there and cursed the Florida climate. I have suffered through them for the first time here in VA. Have you tried Clariton?

June 16, 2006 11:09 AM  
Blogger Gail said...

Jamie, I guess pollen in the area has been unusually high. This is the first time I have ever had issues with allergies here in Colorado. I have taken Clariton before and it worked, but this time around it didn't even come close to helping out. It was VERY strange!

June 16, 2006 1:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home