Thursday, May 25

Things that go bump in the night

Horribly cliche, I know. I promise not to get overly strange on you. I'll stick with telling my simple little story from last night.

Here goes.

About 2:30am I wake up to a noise that sounded like someone dropped a metal pipe on pavement. It woke me from a pretty heavy sleep, so I brushed off and rolled over to go back to sleep. Sometimes I'll be dreaming and wake up, thinking I've heard something. If I really hear something or not will remain unknown.

These sounds I hear on occasion are usually outside. Josh never hears them, but will humor me and go check things out. The last time I heard something was before we moved. I heard noises like someone had opened our car door and a few minutes later shut it. Josh went and looked, it was nothing.

Last night when I heard this noise I just rolled over, not opening my eyes. Trying to ignore it and go right back to sleep, it was working. At first. Next thing I know Josh says, "Did you hear that?". When I told him yes he starts looking out our bedroom windows, then on to search the rest of the house. It's not a noise that could have come from the main floor of the house, but it's possible that it might have come from the basement.

He heads down there to check it out, armed with a 1 inch dowel rod that's just about as tall as he is. He also made sure I had my cell phone on me, that freaked me out a bit. Until he said that, I was ok with us both hearing this noise! After what seems like forever he comes back upstairs and proclaims that all is clear. All the windows are intact, etc.

This is the first time that we've done a check in the middle of the night and I didn't ask him to check on Zander. Josh went in to make sure he was ok just as soon as the basement was found to be all clear. Zander was still sound asleep.

After that Josh wanted to go out with the aforementioned weapon, plus a flashlight, to check our cars over. He had me stand at the front door with my cell phone. Again he found nothing. He came back in and we made the attempt to go back to sleep. This time it didn't work out so much. Needless to say we were both a little flipped out.

Upon inspection this morning, we still can't figure out where the noise came from. A little spooky, yes. But we'll survive. All I asked of Josh was that a little while before going to work this morning, I didn't want to be home alone in the dark after all that.

Go ahead, call me a wussie. I can take it. I know it's true.

2 Comments:

Blogger threecollie said...

That would have had me spooked too!

May 29, 2006 11:42 AM  
Blogger Jamie said...

I would have been wide awake for the rest of the night! Add me to the wussie list!

May 29, 2006 6:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home