Monday, May 1

Naptime Crisis

Ok, I've mentioned Buddy in the past but for those of you who don't know, Buddy is the name of Zanders GloWorm. Buddy is much loved. He accompanies Zander to bed at night and also when it comes time for afternoon nap.

Zander knows that when he's done eating lunch it's time to go find Buddy, he runs to his room and the great search begins. "Buuiieeeeeeeeeeeee...Bouieeeeeeeeeee" That's mostly what it sounds like. The longer he holds on to the "eeeeeeee" sound, the higher pitched Buddys name gets. When we do finally find Buddy (he's usually still in bed or at the foot of the bed) it's off to beddie-bye.

Like any other two year old Zander has his short little routine for taking his nap. It's pretty short, but it's always the same. He's gotta have his big pillow, his travel pillow, and of course, Buddy. He will also sit up in bed waiting for me to cover him up and kiss him on his forhead. After that, I exit the room, shutting the door behind me. And that is naptime as we now know it.

Zander either gets up to play or goes right to sleep, falling asleep later on the floor. For now, this is how we are dealing with naptime. Some days he naps and others, not so much. Right now we are going with this method of napping until Zander is a bit older. It's taken alot of stress away from me, but that's a whole other post.

This afternoon Zander had been in his room "napping" for about a half hour when he starts to cry. Sometimes he'll fuss/cry for all of 10 seconds then decides he's fine and goes back to his play. Unless I can tell something is wrong I leave him be for the duration of naptime. Today I heard him start to cry, but it was "one of those" cries, something was up.

When I went to check on Zander and make sure everything was good I found the door to be blocked by something. At first it concerns me because I think it's HIM crying behind the door to his room. Now, I'm not wanting to push the door open if he's layin there in front of it, I don't want to squish him!

But then I see something move out of the corner of my eye. Zander isn't behind the door, some of his toys are. So, I push the door open to find Zander kneeling down in front of MiKaels crib (which has been setup in Zanders room, but so far we have not put Mikael in it). Now, I'll also take this opportunity to tell ya that Zander has been throwing his toys in the crib every now and then. We don't always give them back to him when he does this. They come out of "jail" when we think they should. That being said, can you guess what happened?

Yup, you guess it!

Buddy had ventured into the crib! This was very traumatic for Zander. The look on Z's face was priceless. He was upset and crying! He had reached through the slats of the crib to free Buddy, but there was one problem. Buddy has a big booty. Buddy was stuck. Zander coulnd't free his sleepytime friend! He was close to being in a state of panic.

Mommy to the rescue!

As soon as Buddy found his freedom I handed him back over to Zander, I can't explain the look he had on his face then. This whole thing was so stinkin hilarious!! Z hugs Buddy like he's found his best friend (but also like that best friend was stupid for running away) and both come over to me for a quick snuggle before gettin tucked back into bed.

I thought for sure that Zander would go right to sleep this time, he was certainly tired enough! But not more than 5 minutes later I hear that same traumatized cry again.

This time I find Zander sitting up in the corner of his bed (this time I think he really was beginning ot panic, poor thing!). Buddy is nowhere in sight. Zander has a fire engine bed that sits in the corner of his room, but it doesn't fit flush in the corner. Buddy had pulled some elusive maneuvers. This time Buddy ventured behind Zanders bed, into the corner!

Mommy to the rescue again, sort of. After two rescue efforts I picked up Zander and his sleepytime "friend" and took them both into my bedroom. I got in some snuggle time with my little big boy until he fell asleep. He slept for a good 2 hours before waking up in the big king sized bed.

Tonight when Zander went to bed he was holding on TIGHT to Buddy. I don't think he'll be venturing off again anytime soon.

At least not today. :-P

1 Comments:

Blogger Jillian said...

I love the way you tell stories. And the musician in you was showing in the way you described how Z calls for Buddy! :)

May 03, 2006 7:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home