Wednesday, May 31

Checkout lines

I have always been amazed by people who shop at busy stores and expect faster than prompt service at the checkout stands. I mean, you know it's a busy store, wouldn't you expect a short wait?

There are 'those people'. You know who they are. They never quite verbally complain about having to wait in line. They're the ones standing behind you in line. Directly behind you. They are the ones who you'd step on if you took a half inch step backwards. Because, somehow standing that close makes the line move faster.

Don't do that, it's just not nice.

Oh, but then there are those 'other people' standing in line behind you. You know them too! They not only stand far too close, they actually crowd their way up to the belt and start loading their stuff up. Even before you've even had a chance to unload your own goods.

Didn't your mother tell you it's not nice to push someone? Back off!

Noone likes to wait, but is getting all huffy really a good answer? It only makes you look like a jerk and the time go by even slower! So, take a deep breath and pretend your on a beach somewhere. Before you know it, you'll be out the door.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jamie said...

OH! Those people drive me nutty. How about the ones who bump you with their carts...ow! Or the ones who sigh heavily and roll their eyes. Or the worst...the verbal ones who will say whatever is on their mind about the poor clerk. I'm so impatient with THOSE people!!!

June 01, 2006 10:32 AM  
Blogger Gail said...

I know, I always feel bad for the cashier! If they've caught comments from someone I usually try to laugh and joke with them...I've been in their shoes and sometimes it's not fun! Anything to brighten their day, ya know? At least I can walk away from the situation but they are stuck!

June 01, 2006 11:57 AM  
Blogger Jillian said...

Oh, my inner cat comes out in situations like that! LOL

Gosh, I have missed a lot over here, Gail -- you've been chatty! I'm going to have to come back and catch up. :)

June 01, 2006 6:05 PM  
Blogger apositivepessimist said...

A quick accidental jab to the ribs with a pretend elbow usually works pretty good with those types. Sometimes I like to pretend I have tourette's.

I agree I can handle standing in line when I can see the line plus it gives oneself ample opportunity to "watch" other people. Standing in line while the cashier muckarses about is a different matter...I'm usually mumbling in my head when that goes on. I do admit sometimes I am guilty of snapping a "c'mon" under my breath then. Oh well aye.

June 02, 2006 3:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home